Milledgeville’s moderate climate allows individuals to enjoy organized sports, boating, fishing, golfing, hiking and horseback riding year-round. The Baldwin County Parks and Recreation Department offers outstanding facilities and a full calendar of special events and ongoing programs for children, youth, adults and seniors.
- The Walter B. Williams, Jr. Park provides 420 acres of fun and is the envy of much larger cities. It is also the site of many regional tournaments. A new lighted soccer and track facility has recently been built to expand on the recreational offerings of the area.
- Cooper’s Park is another popular gathering point for picnics, playground activities, ball fields and courts.
- Take a scenic stroll or jog along the Oconee River Greenway nestled along the banks of the Oconee River. This popular community attraction allows easy access to the river for visitors to enjoy swimming, fishing, canoeing, kayaking and rafting. Twenty acres of freshwater wetlands are being preserved as a bird and wildlife sanctuary. It’s the perfect location for a picnic or a place to quietly reflect on the beauty of nature.
- Little Fishing Creek Golf Course, located on Highway 22 West, adjacent to Williams Park, is an excellent public golf course that’s a favorite of area golfers. The course was designed by Gary Player, one of the greatest players in the history of golf, and is one of only three Gary Player designed golf courses in the State of Georgia. The 18-hole par 72 course offers a number of amenities, including a full-service pro shop with a snack bar and driving range. Tee times are recommended on weekends and holidays.
- Developed in 1959 along the shores of Lake Sinclair, Milledgeville Country Club offers a traditional club environment that includes outstanding recreational and social opportunities. The club’s membership has recently invested more than $500,000 in upgrades and improvements to the challenging course. Upgrades have been made to all the course’s tee boxes and all 18 holes have been rebuilt, along with improvements in landscaping. The course is open year-round. Private parties can be scheduled around the pool and the elegant clubhouse has dining and catering/banquet services. Avid golfers will be delighted with Milledgeville’s proximity to several of the state’s premier golf courses, including Cuscowilla on Lake Oconee in Eatonton and the Reynolds Plantation courses on Lake Oconee in Greensboro, both a short drive from Milledgeville.